Building Department

Building Permits

To request inspections or see the status of your permit, log into your account at

If your application does not meet the requirements set forth in Utah Code Section 17-36-55 (8) (a) through (g) it will be rejected until it meets these requirements

Utah Code Section 17-36-55 (8)


Do I need a permit?

The following projects are required to be permitted by Kane County:

  • Water heater replacement
  • Meter base installation
  • Solar panel install
  • Replacing an old electrical panel
  • Furnace install/replacement
  • Accessory structures (non-habitable, without electrical or plumbing):
    • 120 sq. ft. no primary residence
    • 200 sq. ft. with primary residence
  • If you are unsure if a permit is required please contact our office: 435-644-4985


When is engineering required in Kane County?

  • All trusses 
  • Residences at and above 70 LBS ground snow-load
    • If an application is submitted on a project that is not considered a "prescriptive" build, engineering may be required at any snow-load.
  • ALL Commercial projects
  • Garages
  • Swimming pools
  • Fences over 7 ft. tall
  • Retaining walls over 4 ft. tall
  • Demolition
  • Signs
  • Remodels
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Moving/removing bearing walls
  • If you are unsure if engineering is required please contact our office: 435-644-4985


Kane County Building Code

Kane County has adopted the following as their building code:

International Building Code (IBC)

International Residential Code (IRC)

National Electric Code (NEC)

International Plumbing Code (IPC)

International Mechanical Code (IMC)

International Fire Code (IFC)

All other codes as adopted by Utah State Code.


*Building fee appeal process can be found in Utah State Code 17-27A-509.


Agricultural Exemption Waiver

This document is for agricultural buildings that owners do not want to go through the inspection and permitting process. These buildings will be used for nothing other than agricultural purposes, no power or plumbing will be installed on such buildings.

Building Permit Application Information

If you are looking for information in regards to building in Kane County, this document will have information pertinent to this.

Excavation Permit

Kane County Road Department excavation form.

Fire Hazard Severity Form

Appendix C from the 2006 Wildland-Urban Interface Code

Fire Pit Guidelines

Guidelines for cabins and Recreation Vehicles that are set up for the summer in the unincorporated areas of Kane County.  Fire Pits must be inspected and approved prior to initial use.

Owner Builder Certificate Form

This is the official Owner/Builder Certificate for the State of Utah. If you plan on completing the work on your project yourself this document will be required to be submitted with your application.

Request for Documents

Submit this document if you are looking to get information for our archives. Otherwise known as a GRAMA request. 

Sample Wildfire Mitigation Plan

This document shows what is acceptable for the Wildfire Mitigation Plan or WUI Plan. There are two types included in this document, a site map and a typed document.

WUI Fire Action Guide

Read about Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) here. Learn what it takes to make a safe area around your building from wild fires.

Phone: 435-644-4985

Address: 76 North Main Street

Send Email

Contact Information

Building Permit Payments